Glen L Design 24 foot Hercules

Glen L Design 24 foot Hercules
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Sunday 15 January 2012

Weekends Work



I have ordered my propshaft as the three I received with the boat were all too short. I hope to receive the shaft at the end of this week so I can resume that task. While I am waiting I decided to leap a step or two and work on some other areas. I have finished my Christmas holidays and now find work tends to get in the way of productive boat building, so I am back to after work and weekends .....

I had previously mentioned I want to change the roof line and run the floor at one level – To start this I have removed the side beds (as per plan) in the saloon and gut the remaining fixtures.

 Before removing built in beds

 After removing beds

While in demolition  mode I removed the kitchen the builder had fabricated in the wheel house and the hanging cupboard and sink in the forward cabin. My intention is to build a seat that will convert to a bed at night in the wheel house and to move the galley to the forward cabin. This will work OK and free up some space in the wheel house and saloon.

 Not a good photo of the previous galley - watch the movie and it will give an idea 
of how much space was taken up

Now the Wheel house will be a bit more practical with an 1.8m (6')day bed and the galley will be in the forward cabin that was just a bit small to fit a Vee birth

Already the boat has a more open feel about it and I am pleased with the results


No comments:

Post a Comment