Glen L Design 24 foot Hercules

Glen L Design 24 foot Hercules
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Monday 2 January 2012

Engine - Thornycroft


 I have purchased a Thornycroft marine diesel for Tangaroa. I had mentioned that the boat came with an Isuzu 4FB1 diesel which was not marinised and a Borg Warner Velvet Drive which was not connected - I figured Ebay would come to the rescue and sure enough I purchased a Thornycroft D1757 complete with gearbox and Bowman heat exchanger. To the best of my research so far the motor is a BMC (Leyland) diesel of about 36hp to 44hp.

Any help with information on this model would be appreciated

I have not fired it up yet but plan to do that over the next day or so. The oil looks good ... so here is hoping. I was pleased to find an AC compressor mounted as the boat has a Eutectic refrigerator  already fitted.

I guess it would be prudent to fit new hoses and belts and give the engine and box an oil change before fitting.

I now have to devise a plan to get this engine into the boat and on its bearers - not a simple task ... open to an advice or past experiences


No comments:

Post a Comment