Glen L Design 24 foot Hercules

Glen L Design 24 foot Hercules
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Thursday 5 January 2012

Design thoughts

Now that the boat is undercover in its new home, I have had some time to assess the layout of the boat, what has been completed and start making some lists of what has to be done so I can sort them into some sort of order.

While compiling the list and poking around in the boat, something occured to me rapidly ... The notion of spending my days on the water stepping up and down from the wheel house to the saloon, then stepping up again to the cockpit has "whiskers" on it. 

I am sure the stepped saloon was to help create the tug/trawler theme and it is certainly a good looking craft, but being a gentlemen of large proportions I am about to exercise some artistic licence and introduce some design changes




My aim is to maintain the floor level of the wheel house and step down about 100mm (4'' for or frends in the States) to the same level as the cockpit floor and maintatin the same floor level right through. I will have to lift the roof to either flow on from the wheel hose roof or sit below it (like the sketch)

The photo above is from the Glen L Hercules site, built by Escondido Christian Reform Church. This is a nice looking Hercules and I like the design (I would be intersted if this was the original 24' or has it been stretched?)............ though I am tossing up ideas on the roofline, but I would like to follow theroof through over the cockpit .... It gets pretty hot in the summer and I would like to shelter from the sun and rain. I am governed a bit by the existing wheel house and window layout, but would like to achieve something similar

I am interested on your thoughts or feedback

 Nautical Lingo

The Steamboat Captain brought his son along on a short cruise upriver to show him what he does for a living. All the kid wanted to do was steer the boat. Insisting that his father taught him enough to handle the job he asked the pilot to let him take the helm.
"Okay", said the pilot, "but you must pass a small test first.
If I asked you to turn to the left, what nautical term should I use?" "Turn to Port", said the boy. "Correct", said the pilot.
"If I wanted you to turn the boat to the right, what direction would that be?" "Starboard", said boy grinning from ear to ear. "Good for you", said the pilot.
"And straight?" asked the pilot. The boy quickly replied, "Without ice."

No comments:

Post a Comment